Support head, any body part -tracking input
For users with physical disabilities, one solution to replace the traditional mouse may be to track head or other body part movements. For example, tilting your head to the left may move the pointer to the left on the screen, while a blink might equal a mouse click.
Discussion by Disabilities
For users with severe physical disabilities or paralysis who may not be able to use traditional mouse and keyboard setups, a simple head-tracking input system may give them the ability to access a computer independently.
Please note that these products are not necessarily endorsed by RtF, but represent the range of available options.
Open Source and free
These products are free and their source code may be modified with few restrictions.
Free, not necessarily open source
These products are free to use, but may have strict restrictions on viewing and modifying source code.
- Camera Mouse – Camera Mouse
- NaviGaze – CyberNet
Commercial, with free trial
These products are free to try for a limited period of time or with limited functionality. They must be purchased for full functionality.
- FaceMouse- CLARO
Related Research and Papers
- Towards Hands-Free Interfaces Based on Real-Time Robust Facial Gesture Recognition – Cristina Manresa-Yee, Javier Varona, and Francisco J. Perales (2006)
- Head Gestures Recognition – Pei Chi Ng and Liyanage C. De Silva (2001)
- Recognition of Head Gestures Using Hidden Markov Models – Carlos Morimoto, Yaser Yacoob, Larry Davis (1996)
- The Camera Mouse: visual tracking of body features to provide computer access for people with severe disabilities-M. Betke, J. Gips, P. Fleming
- Access Interface Strategies- Susan Fager, David R. Beukelman, Melanie Fried-Oken, Tom Jakobs PE, John Baker
- Assistive Multimodal System Based on Speech Recognition and Head Tracking- Alexey A. Karpov, Andrey L. Ronzhin, Alexander I. Nechaev, Svetlana E. Chernakova
- A multimodal human computer interface combining head movement, speech and tongue motion for people with severe disabilities- M.N Sahadat; Arish Alreja; Pooja Srikrishnan; Maysam Ghovanloo
Related content in the DeveloperSpace
- Integration of Alternative Input Modalities
- AsTeRICS WebACS Tutorial
- Smart Home UI with Scanning
- Cross-Platform Camera Mouse
- What is Physical Disability?
- Guadalinfo - Enhanced Telecenters
- AsTeRICS User Manual
- Integrated Smart Home Example in AsTeRICS
- AsTeRICS Nexus Connector