EVA Facial Mouse allows the user to control an Android™ device by tracking the face.
Based on the movement of the face captured through the front camera, the app allows the user to control a pointer on the screen (i.e., like a mouse), which provides direct access to most elements of the user interface.
For whom is EVA?
EVA is intended for those who cannot use a touchscreen. For instance, some people with amputations, cerebral palsy, spinal cord injury, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) or other disabilities may benefit from this app.
- Mobile phone or tablet
- Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) or higher
- Front camera
- Dual-core processor or higher
See the list of devices tested with EVA.
Due to pre-existing restrictions of the Android platform, there are currently some limitations.
- It cannot be used simultaneously with other applications that make use of the camera.
- For Android versions prior to 5.1 most standard keyboards do not work with EVA, so a basic keyboard is provided. Such a keyboard needs to be manually activated after the installation.
- Does not work with most games.
- Browsers do not handle properly some actions (we recommend using Google Chrome).
- Applications such as Maps, Earth and Gallery work with restrictions.
For obvious reasons, EVA has not been tested with all devices available on the market. If you find any issues with your device, please, let us know.
Can I use a regular keyboard?
For Android 5.1 and higher it seems that GBoard works well with EVA.
I receive the message "Because an app is obscuring a permission request, Settings can't verify your response". What can I do?
This is due to other apps having the "Draw over other apps" permission granted. Try the following:
- In Settings > Apps > Configure apps (Gear Icon) > Draw over other apps
- Disable the permission one by one for all apps other than EVA to find out which one interferes with EVA.
EVA Facial Mouse has been developed with the support of Fundación Vodafone España and the collaboration of experts and users from organizations of ASPACE Confederación (Spain). Namely, ASPACE Asturias, ASPACE Barcelona, ASPACE Gipuzkoa, ASPACE Granada, APPC Tarragona and AVAPACE. Furthermore, it has been tested by CEAPAT, CRE (León) and ASPAYM Castilla y León.
- Christian Bieder (German localization)
- Yaron Shahrabani (Hebrew localization)
Nominee in the GSMA Glomo Awards. February, 2017.
Selected as "Good Practice" in the “International Design For All Foundation Good Practices Awards”. January, 2017.
1st prize in “Concurso de Productos de Apoyo y Soluciones de Bajo Coste". CRMF IMSERSO Albacete (Spain). July, 2016.
EVA Facial Mouse is released under GNU/GPL v3.0
Developed by Cesar Mauri