Virtual / On-screen keyboard
Some users with physical disabilities may find it easier to use only the mouse or a similar pointing device instead of a traditional keyboard. To enter text, these users can benefit greatly from a virtual or on-screen keyboard, where they can point to letters or words to enter them as text.
Discussion by Disabilities
An on-screen, virtual keyboard allow people with certain disabilities to enter text more easily and more efficiently than with a traditional keyboard.
Please note that these products are not necessarily endorsed by RtF, but represent the range of available options.
Open Source and free
These products are free and their source code may be modified with few restrictions.
- AAC Keys – (open source)
- Dasher – University of cambridge
- GazeTalk – COGAIN (Communication by Gaze Interaction)
- GOK – ATRC at University of Toronto
- ICUTalk – U. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
- My Freedom To Communicate (MyFTC)
- Opengazer – AEGIS
- Remote Commander – Pittsburg Pebbles PDA Project
- Remote Keys
- CARIBOU – GNOME
Free, not necessarily open source
These products are free to use, but may have strict restrictions on viewing and modifying source code.
- Click-N-Type Virtual Keyboard – Lake Software
- E-triloquist – (open source)
- Speak for Yourself – LAT Kids (LifeShare Assistive Technology)
- Virtual On-Screen Keyboard – MiloSoft
- CLICK TO PHONE APP – UNIQUE PERSPECTIVE
- TAPIR – THE INFERENCE GROUP
- NOHANDCOM – SOFTWARE OPEN SOURCE DI PHILIP KELLER
Commercial, with free trial
These products are free to try for a limited period of time or with limited functionality. They must be purchased for full functionality.
- Aurora Suite – Aurora Systems
- beKey – beEnabled
- CubeWriter – CubeWriter Software
- Discover Screen – Madentec
- Eurovocs Suite – TNI
- EZ Keys – Words Plus (Words+)
- KeyStrokes – AssistiveWare
- KeyVit – TNI
- Hot Virtual Keyboard – Comfort Software Group
- My T-Soft – IMG
- Penfriend – PenFriend Ltd, Cricksoft
- PTP-PC (Point-to-Pictures PC) – RJ Cooper
- Proloquo – AssistiveWare
- ProtoType – Sensory Software
- QualiWorld Suite – QualiLife
- REACH 5 – AHF (Applied Human Factors)
- SayIt – SayIt
- SayIt Sam – Words Plus (Words+)
- Screen Doors – Madentec
- Sounds Like Spell Write – AHF (Applied Human Factors)
- SpeechPro & Multimedia Speech System – Gus
- SwitchXS – AssistiveWare
- Virtual Keyboard – Corallo Software
- Virtual Keyboard – Mount Focus
- WiViK – Bloorview Kids Rehab, Ontario Rehab Tech Consortium
Commercial, no free trial
These products must be purchased to be used, and did not offer free trials at the time of posting.