Do not rely on color alone to convey information
Colors that are similar visually are usually confusing to interpret. Having patterns and textures along with the color makes things easily understandable.
Discussion by Disabilities
This feature aids people with low vision and color-blindness to discern information easily by not just looking into colors but also looking into other indicators such as patterns, textures etc.
Related Research and Papers
- Accommodating color blind computer users- Luke Jefferson, Richard Harvey
- Communicating Web Accessibility to the Novice Developer: From User Experience to Application- Susan A. Youngblood
- Accessible advertising for visually‐disabled persons: the case of color‐deficient consumers- Carol Kaufman‐Scarborough
- “Usable Accessibility” to the Web for blind Users- Nicoletta Di Blas , Paolo Paolini , Marco Speroni
- Best Practices for Accessible Flash Design- Bob Regan