Automatically check spelling and grammar
This feature includes spelling and grammar checking tools that correct typing mistakes. These are commonly included in word processors and literacy suites, but many internet-based applications still do not support spelling and grammar checking. Often times, the grammar checkers are also enabled to correct confusing words such as "through" and "thorough", "bought" and "brought".
Discussion by Disabilities
Spelling and grammar checkers help everyone, but they are especially helpful to those with cognitive, language, and learning disabilities in determining the correct way to form a word or sentence
This listing includes a wide range of products, from simple stand-alone spell-checkers to large literacy suites that include a spelling or grammar checking tool. Please note that these products are not necessarily endorsed by RtF, but represent the range of available options.
- Spelling and grammar checking are also supported by mainstream writing products, such as the Microsoft Office Suite and many email programs.
Open Source and free
These products are free and their source code may be modified with few restrictions.
- ATbar – ATbar, University of Southampton
Free, not necessarily open source
These products are free to use, but may have strict restrictions on viewing and modifying source code.
- Free Spell – HCI Design
- Ghotit – Ghotit
- IE Spell – IE Spell
- tinySpell – tinySpell
Commercial, with free trial
These products are free to try for a limited period of time or with limited functionality. They must be purchased for full functionality.
- SpellCatcher – Rainmaker, Inc.
- Grammar Slammer – EnglishPlus
- Literacy Productivity Pack – Premier Literacy
- Penfriend – PenFriend Ltd, Cricksoft
- QualiWorld Suite – QualiLife
- Read & Write – Texthelp
- WriteOnline – CrickSoft
- WordTalk – Call Centre
Commercial, no free trial
These products must be purchased to be used, and did not offer free trials at the time of posting.
- Kurzweil 3000 – Kurzweil Educational Systems
- Solo Literacy Suite – Don Johnston
- ClaroRead – Claro Software
- ProtoType – Sensory Software
- WordQ – Quillsoft, Bloorview Kids Rehab
Related Research and Papers
- Dyslexia, eLearning and eSkills, (Pgs 84-90) ‘Supporting Dyslexic Adults in Higher Education’ – University of Southampton – Draffan, E.A. (2012)
- Southampton Accessibility Tools presented at 8th International Cross-Disciplinary Conference on Web Accessibility – University of Southampton – Wald, M., Draffan, E.A., Skuse, S., Newman, R. and Phethean, C. (2011)
- Spelling and grammar checking system- Yves Schabes, Emmanuel Roche
- Internet-based spelling checker dictionary system with automatic updating- Jakob Nielsen
- Spell-check for a keyboard system with automatic correction- David Kay, Erland Unruh, Gaurav Tandon