Use manipulatives to connect math symbols to concrete objects
It is often difficult to remember the meaning of symbols or connect symbols with what they represent. Use of manipulatives to connect symbols help in recognizing the meanings and relationships to concrete objects.
Discussion by Disabilities
This feature aids people with cognitive, language and learning disabilities to connect symbols with what they represent.
Related Research and Papers
- Manipulatives as symbols: A new perspective on the use of concrete objects to teach mathematics- David H.Uttal, Kathyrn V.Scudder, Judy S.DeLoache
- “Concrete” Computer Manipulatives in Mathematics Education- Julie Sarama, Douglas H. Clements
- ‘Concrete’ Manipulatives, Concrete Ideas- Douglas H. Clements
- Teaching Mathematics to Young Children through the Use of Concrete and Virtual Manipulatives- Frank D'Angelo; Nevin Iliev
- Experiential Learning of Mathematics: Using Manipulatives. ERIC Digest- Robert Hartshorn, Sue Boren