What is it?
This Java project is a small demonstration to experience what it might be to navigate a virtual world blind or without vision.
This demo world consists of:
- A small rectangular room.
- The player moving and navigating throughout the room.
- Two items each with a distinct sound. One sounds like a flare and the other sounds electronic with a recurring beep.
- (New Feature) The blue item will slowly move towards the user getting louder and louder as it gets closer.
- Plug a pair of headphones into the computer and put them on.
- Try opening and running the Main.java file.
- Make sure that the samples are loaded in properly.
- Use the A, D, W, S keys to move throughout the room.
- Notice how the volume gets louder as you move closer to an item.
- Notice how if an item is to the left, you hear it better on the left ear. Notice a similar effect for the right ear.
- Use spacebar to enable limited visuals and an aerial view map.
- (2012-2013) The project demo was created by Michael Wehar.
- (December 2016) The project repo was made public.
- (February 2017) Hunting feature was added by Jesse Hartloff so that the blue circle would slowly move towards the user.