According to the World Bank Report more than one billion people experience some form of disability. Furthermore, disability is of even greater concern because its prevalence is on the rise, mainly in developing countries. Disability is not niche market any more- the concept of diversity including disability has permeated the business world and organizations are placing greater focus on it than ever before.
In addition, companies that offer inclusive technologies by increasing and improving functional usability of their products by people with disabilities including those who are aging are considered forward-thinking, and by offering smart innovations to extreme users, also improve usability for the average users.
The disability market is unique, complex and associated with higher transaction quantity and quality. In the following, a summary of key documents that can aid in understanding the disability market is presented, including reports, strategies, articles and other documents that present status, data, statistics, trends, and other aspects related to disability. The documents on disability related marketing techniques that facilitate the creation of inclusive products and infrastructures are also important for those targeting this unique market segment.
Documents That Explore Disability Market
- Report reviews the data on disability prevalence and the situation of people with disabilities worldwide, explores access to mainstream health services for people with disabilities, investigates support and assistance services and discusses education and employment for people with disabilities.
- The annual report highlights state and trend data from national sources. Presents statistics to address the following areas: number of people with disabilities living in the United States, the percentage of people with disabilities in different age groups, the percentage of people with disabilities for different types of disability, earnings for people with and without disabilities, the poverty percentage.
- Report provides estimates of the socioeconomic characteristics of people with disabilities, describes the federal laws that specifically address the interests of people with disabilities, explores estimates for different categories of disability.
- Comprehensive report presents framework, metrics, and change management required to do meet disability requirements. Includes a detailed assessment of a companies’ performance, along with recommendations for actions that create value.
- Report shows the disability status and diversity of the labor force and population 16 and over, is based on the American Community Survey (ACS). Provides over 1 billion estimates showing the disability status and diversity of the labor force, makes available labor force characteristics of people with a disability, with more details on occupation, education, and earnings. Includes employment status, detailed occupation, occupation groups, citizenship, educational attainment, age, race, sex and earnings
- The estimates in this release are based on annual average data obtained from the Current Population Survey (CPS). Provides information on the labor force status, demographics, and other characteristics of the nation's civilian non institutional population age 16 and over.
- Report describes disability in European Union, provides European Disability Strategy 2010–2020, and data on labor market activities of people with disabilities and describes self-employment rates by disability status. Provides information about the benefits of entrepreneurship for people with disabilities, the challenges faced by people with disabilities when starting a business and how entrepreneurship can be facilitated with technology.
- Presents marketing campaigns that target as many potential customers as possible including disabled people. Describes challenges that companies face while they feature diversity and promote accessibility.
- Document provides information how to tests digital products with disabled people. Briefly describes how to inform, recruit communicate and collaborate with users.
- Provides quantitative and qualitative data from users performing real tasks with a products. Discusses usability testing with participants with disabilities including: planning usability testing, preparing for usability testing, conducting usability testing, reporting usability testing, checklist for usability testing, recruiting screener.
- Provides guidance on incorporating accessibility into evaluation methods such as: standards review, heuristic evaluation, design walkthroughs, screening techniques and usability testing.
- Business Disability Forum
- Interactive Accessibility
- Solutions Marketing Group
- Disability Services Consulting
This QuickSheet has been edited by Anna Szopa, PhD.